Total Pageviews

Friday, May 3, 2013

The Other Side of "But"


The Other Side of  "But"              
                                                                                         Return to Main Menu
                                                           To follow A Daily Thought click>>>




In the English language, we have a connector word used to connect two statements that are in opposition to each other; that connector word we often use is the word "but".  Usually the first of the two statements expresses a thought or condition about something and the other side of the "but" is an opposing, contrasting statement or phrase.  

I like the word 'but' and heard it many times when teaching middle school.  I used it often when I was a student, especially when I was offering an excuse to the teacher about my non existent school work such as, "I did my homework correctly and on time, but the dog ate it!"

Then, how many of you parents have said "No" to a child and heard, "But Mom!".  I see a lot of hands going up.  OR  "But Dad, all the other kids have one!"  OR  "But Mom, Jenny is doing it."  They pester us then it ends up, "But Mom, Why Not?"  and your best quickest answer is "Because I said so."  And then everyone is mad.

English writing experts tell us that it is bad form to use the word 'but' because the writer can express any comment more clearly by stating the same thought without the word "but".  But, I am not sure that saying "The dog enjoyed eating my homework" is more clear or anymore true than as I previously stated.  

Yeah, I like the word 'but" and for good reason.

Jesus used the word 'but' many times.  In the Gospel Matthew (Chapters 5,6,7), in His Sermon on the Mount, he uses "but" very effectively at least 25 times!  For Jesus, 'but' is a clear signal that something very important is about to be said.  One of my favorite is His comment about the alternative to worry, "But Seek ye first the Kingdom of God..."- Matthew 6:33.  He also likes the term, "But I tell you....".  He uses this phrase 35 times in the Gospels, often with "I tell you the Truth...".  God tells us by His own actions that Jesus' words are sacred. God Sanctified, He Glorified, and God made Holy Jesus' words by raising Jesus from the dead!  And, there are no "but"s in the Resurrection!  This alone verifies the Truth in Jesus' words and gives us all the reasons we should listen to Him, especially his 'but's.

But, far too often in our daily lives, by our actions we do not listen to Jesus, we do not seek the Kingdom, and we fail to seek His Truth.  There is important irony in this.  In not seeking the Truth, we do not know how powerful and perfect the Truth really is which ironically, is something most people would really like to know.  If we do seek, hear, and know the Truth, we learn of its Power, and then we begin to set aside those things that impede our further seeking the fullness of His Truth.  In knowing the Truth we know Jesus and Jesus knows us, and as we seek to know Him more, He will recognize the Truth is in us and will certainly open His Door to us.

But, there is one 'but' coupled with one 'Truth' we never want to hear from Jesus.  It is enough to say that one day, whatever the fullness of meaning of this really is, 'one day we will stand before Jesus'.  After all, He said it, "No one comes unto the Father except by me".  And on that day, the opposition words we do not want to hear from Jesus comes from His parable of the "Ten Virgins".  Matthew 25: "But He replied, 'I tell you the truth, I don't know you."

Many Christians know about Jesus, but do you truly know Him enough that He knows you.  In your prayers, when was the last time your prayed, "Dear Jesus, I love you..."

Thanks Be to God,
       Especially for Jesus

lonnie    

© lonnie coggins

Please Join 'A Daily Thought Group' on Facebook.  
It is designed to be an uncluttered library of only ‘A Daily Thought’ postings.  

 Thanks and God Bless.

Click Here to go to  "A DAILY THOUGHT GROUP"   

Return to Main Menu

==============================

Epilog

My thanks to Dr. Tom Canabiss for the spine tingling moment that inspired this writing.  Just in passing, he used this phrase in a Bible Study on Jonah 2.  In the moment of hearing the phrase "the other side of 'but'" I felt there was a message in that comment.  I encourage you to respond to your spine tingling moments.

Jonah 2: 8 "Those who cling to worthless idols forfeit the grace that could be theirs. 9 But I, with a song of thanksgiving, will sacrifice to you. What I have vowed I will make good. Salvation comes from the LORD." 10 And the LORD commanded the fish, and it vomited Jonah onto dry land.


For more on Spine Tingling Moments I give you the following:

A Random thought:  Spine Tingling Moments


                          Return to Main Menu


lonnie



Sharing these messages

You are welcome to share these messages.  You can send the links to your friends,  copy and insert the link on FB or you can print the message and share it with your friends.

You can print the message including this sharing message only for your friends and for non-profit.  You MUST copy and paste the message to a word processing document.   After you copy and paste add the following at the end of the message:

© Lonnie Coggins        source- Facebook "A Daily Thought Group"
ldcoggins@gmail.com              www.adailythought.NET

If you desire to use any of these messages in a For-Profit manner you must contact me (email) for permission.  Typically, I will most likely give permission.

Please email me if you find any broken links in this message.


lonnie

Publication  0127





                           

intro

'BUT' GETS US IN LOTS OF TROUBLE.   I could not tell you how many times I heard 'but' in the classroom.  Ususlly, when I told a student to stop talking. "But, he spoke to me first."   But, there is one time early in our eternal life we do not want to hear the word 'but'.   Please share the message on your Fb page as you like, and if you like, click the FB 'Follow' button to have notifications of these publications.  For other messages like this, visit my FB page, or on FB visit-"A Daily Thought Group".
http://lonnieadailythought.blogspot.com/2013/05/the-other-side-of-but.html









1 comment:

  1. I am reading from your share in Circuit Rider Group. I believe the 'but' that gets me the most in this life is when someone I am talking to says "Yes, I believe in Jesus, but..." That in itself shows me doubt, and that they have not submitted themselves completely to the Lord. I'm not saying that we never use 'but' in our conversations, but when we, as sinner, uses a 'but' after proclaiming to have accepted Jesus as our Lord and Savior, then we don't sound 100% sure of ourselves.
    Very interesting post, thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete