Total Pageviews

Saturday, April 20, 2013

Hidden Opportunities in the Midst of Sorrow...


Hidden Opportunities                Return to Main Menu
 in the Midst of Sorrow
-- A dog of a story?

“And if you greet only your brothers and sisters, what more are you doing than others? Do not even the Gentiles do the same?”

“In everything do to others as you would have them do to you; for this is the law and the prophets.”

It is sad that in the midst of our own sorrow or the sorrow of others we miss or fail to see the opportunity to help someone.

While driving to my home one morning recently, I saw a dog hit by an oncoming car.  To my sorrow, it did not stop, no one else was around and the dog was clearly distressed but alive.

There was nothing to do but stop.  When getting to the dog, still in the road, on coming traffic would soon arrive.  Luckily,  the first two vehicles stopped to help.   As thought, the dog was in deep distress but alive.... barely.

Someone was sent to the closest house, but about the same time a woman came out screaming.  I felt so bad for her and suddenly a feeling of gladness came to me that I and others had stopped.  The owner pulled her car as we were sliding the dog on to a flattened box.  The lady had no idea where a vet was, she had just moved in.

I told her to follow me to the vet.  I did not realize that only her and in her was my opportunity.

The vet staff took the dog directly to their laboratory.  I sat with the lady in a small room as she cried.  I slipped next to her, took her hand, and started praying with her.  While we were praying, the doctor came in and I ended the prayer in a few moments.  The lady was no longer uncontrollably crying.

The doctor talked about the extent of the serious injuries to the dog, head and chest trauma.  It was decision time for the lady on what to do.... she started weeping again.  The doctor left to check on the dog and we talked.  Before she could make a decision, the doctor came back and said, "She (the dog) has made the decision.  She is gone."  Did the lady cry?

Yes, but the heavy sobbing was not there, she had become much calmer.  We went to see the dog for her to say good bye and then left the dog to be buried and went to our cars.  Her crying was quiet now as we talked.

We never realize the comfort we can be to the strangers around us.  I had helped her come to grips of the passing of her best friend.  It matters not that it was a dog.  'Precious' will not be forgotten by the lady, neither will I.

If we do not help the people around us in their stressful times, then what are we here for?!  Stopping was not a "problem", an interruption yes, but it turned into a great opportunity to serve her. 


I feel that I gained the most by stopping to help her.

How many opportunities have I missed to help others and missed the opportunity to help them in their sorrow?   Too many.

Thanks be to God.                                 
     For interruptions.

© Lonnie Coggins        
                            Return to Main Menu
    
                                                                   
==============================

Sharing these messages

You are welcome to share these messages.  You can send the links to your friends,  copy and insert the link on FB or Christian.com or you can print the message and share it with your friends.

You can print the message including this sharing message only for your friends and for non-profit.  You will have to copy and paste the message to a word processing document.   After you copy and paste add the following at the end of the message:

© Lonnie Coggins
ldcoggins@gmail.com

If you desire to use any of these messages in a For-Profit manner you must contact me (email) for permission.  Typically, I will most likely give permission.

Please email me if you find any broken links in this message.


lonnie 


Publication  0122

m230084 45611

No comments:

Post a Comment